30 December 2010

Pennsylvania, Virginia and New Jersey - Two Meteors or Three 29DEC2010

Breaking News - Readers of Meteor/Meteorite News Report Meteors in Pennsylvania, Virginia and New Jersey on 29DEC2010: 

Guest77 (guest):December 29, 2010,approximately 8:00pm Eastern standard time, location outside Hazleton, Pennsylvania, USA,while I was standing outside facing west saw a bright white meteor travel low across the sky from south east to northwest. Color was bright white, no tail and no sound. Shown distinctly through the trees surrounding my property.

Guest499 (guest): Saw a 3 sec fireball over southern NJ at around 8:30 looking west

Dec. 29, 2010 aprox. 8:40 pm. Marietta PA. on RT 441 at Glaxo Smith Kline. Bio facility. I was outside passing from building to another and witnessed the biggest and brightest meteor I have ever seen. It went just north of the Suns setting, So it was on a North West heading. I could see a "V" burn coming off the thing, but couldn't actually see the size or shape of it, It was burning a bright blue on the inside of the burn, lt. green streak through the middle of it with a lt. blue on the outter edge so bright it was almost white. It was spectacular! Glad I had the opportunity to witness it. Anyone have any information as to where it came from or where it may have landed? It looked so big and close that I'm sure there is a few pieces that made it to the ground.
M. D. Budiarto

Guest526 (guest):Driving north tonight,saw a bright white meteor that then appeared larger and fiery and green before disappearing. Lasted about five seconds. I'm in central Virginia, and this happened at 8:30 p.m. Dec. 29.

Anonymous said...
At just around 8:30 pm I was traveling north on State Route 33 just north of Wilson PA when I looked due west and noticed a beautiful green glow with a green tail. There was a white hot center with a redish halo around the center. It seemed to be falling northward.

Guest987 (guest): I was admiring the beautifull starlit night in Russell,Pa and seen a meteor in the eastern sky Dec. 29, 2010, around 9:20 pm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was driving on 95N in central Virginia when I saw it last night. It was the most breath taking "shooting star" I've ever seen. I wasn't entirely sure it wasnt something extraterrestrial. Thanks for the confirmation that others saw it too. We were lucky!

Anonymous said...

Saw it too! I was talking to my neighbor and saw it only for a few seconds. But it was in the western sky at around 8:30 East. I am in Maryland, Laurel area.

Anonymous said...

I saw one of the brightest greenish meteors while driving East on the PA turnpike near Donegal around 9:15 on Dec 29, 2010. It lasted a good 3 or 4 secs from NE to NW.