28 June 2011

Sweden / Finland / Estonia Green Bolide Meteor Fireball 27JUN2011

Composite Image of 27JUN2011 Meteor Event as Seen from Mikkeli Ursa,Finland
(c) 2011 Aki Taavitsainen and Jani Lauanne
ALL Rights Reserved - No Copy without written permission


Sweden Bolide Meteor Fireball ~23:55 Sweden Local Time 27JUN2011
We(3 persons) saw a very bright GIANT "starfall", time duration: about 2 seconds.
Fallowed by lightning all over the sky, looked like flashes -Time duration: about 4 seconds.
No sounds afterwards.
Tobbe  Thank you Tobias!

Gryt, Sweden greenish light ~23:45 on 27 June 2011
Aloha. My name is Curtis Zimmerman. My girlfriend and I witnessed
effects from the meteor last night.We were laying in bed watching a movie and the room filled with
flashes of greenish light at approximately 23:45 on 27 June 2011 (as
opposed to the 23:55 reported by others). I immediately ran to a
nearby window and attempted to spot anything in the sky, however
apparently the meteor (as I suspect it to be, judging from all of the
signs of the event) had already passed directly overhead. We are on a
small island near the town of Gryt in Sweden, southwest of Stockholm
by about 150km or so. I put on some shorts and shoes, and ran outside
in the yard to see if I could spot anything else, and noticed a
twisting, irregularly-shaped "contrail" left by something extremely
recent, and I assumed thereafter that this trail was left by the
(re)entering object. My girlfriend and I had been standing outside
approximately 60-75 seconds after the flashes of extremely bright
light, when we heard (from overhead) a very distant, distinct,
rumbling sound, not unlike a consistent kind of thunder, but not
exactly like that of a jet plane. The rumbling sound lasted
approximately 10 to 15 seconds, then trailed off faintly. I am in the
military and have extensive experience with aerial phenomenon and
suspect this event to be a meteor or possibly a piece of re-entering
space trash. I am no meteorologist or weather expert, but juding on my
experience with timing sound to light events, I calculate the
approximate distance of the object to be about 20-30km directly over
our point of observation. Hope this helps,-curtisz  Thank You Curtisz!

Jonkoping, Sweden Bolide ~23:30 27JUN2011
I saw the meteor on 27 June 2011 at approximately 23:30 (ish) whilst in Jonkoping, Sweden.
I've seen meteors / comets before, but this was something else. It was so close it was unbelievable, and looked more like something out of a movie.
My girlfriend who was driving at the time didn't see it and still thinks I am making it up!!
It was awwwesome!!! R R Pilcher 


North Estonia
I saw it too, and im living in North-Estonia. i was on my way home. it was nothing like i had ever seen before, it was so bright and moving in straight line, down the sky far far away. as i was looking it, trying to understand what it is, it suddenly turned to flames, and that point i got somewhat scared, my head twisted and i started to walk faster to my home, which is at higher grounds, seemed safer. glad it didnt turn out so badly. -Sew
I saw it from Sweden too! Amazing, too bad I didn't caught it on video! -Anon.


Kirkas tulipallo näkyi Etelä-Suomessa - lentorata Tukholman suunnalla - Tähdet ja avaruus
"Kyseisestä kappaleesta on saattanut pudota meteoriitti, mutta on yhä mahdollista että kohde on palanut loppuun ilmakehässä",  tulipallotyöryhmän matemaatikko Esko Lyytinen sanoo.
"There may have been a meteorite fall, but it is still possible that the target  burned out in the atmosphere," fireball group mathematician, Esko Lyytinen says...
 ...http://www.avaruus.fi/


Light phenomenon excites Uusimaa meteor spotters (in Finland)
YLE.fi
An extraordinary light phenomenon was visible in the southern province of Uusimaa on Monday night. Eyewitnesses described the phenomenon as a yellow ball with a green trailing flash.... (more)

Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 Year of Meteors!

No comments: